Integrating New Literacies and Technology into Your Small Group Reading Instruction, Grades 2 – 6.
Many intermediate-level classroom teachers are now responsible for integrating the use of technology in their literacy instruction. They are also responsible for providing instruction in the use of the new technologies. Both initiatives ensure that students will be prepared for the 21st Century. But establishing a coordinated plan to do both, while also maintaining their instruction in elementary-level basics in literacy, has become the new juggling act for many of these classroom teachers. This workshop provides teachers with suggestions to shape an effective 21st Century literacy-based curriculum in which they conscientiously consider what goes, what stays, what needs to be added, and what must be reshaped. Participants will:
• Identify key skills most technology experts agree are detrimental for students.
• Investigate the use of Techno-Guides, easy-to-use student tools for step-by-step technology instruction.
• Explore different types of technology projects that align with literacy instruction.
• Learn simple monitoring and assessment methods for effective instruction.
• Create instructional plans that reflect the purposeful integration and use of technology and tradition.